New Product—DJI Osmo Action Camera: Although many consider the name “GoPro” synonymous with the term “Action Cam,” many other brands have been making inroads into this market. This week, DJI, a company known for making drones and drone-related products, announced its new DJI Osmo Action Camera, which will cost $349 and is available now at the DJI’s online store, store.dji.com. It will also be available at authorized dealers on May 22.
One of the key points DJI is promoting is the fact that they have a strong “heritage of advanced image stabilization” and that the new action cam would use “DJI’s unparalleled experience with capturing smooth and stable videos in the most demanding environments.” Like many action cams, DJI says the new model will also be rugged.
Here are some key features:
- The Osmo Action uses a 1/2.3-inch sensor to record 12-megapixel photos and 4K-resolution video up to 60fps at 100Mbps.
- Rugged features include shockproof (tested to withstand drops from up to 5 feet), waterproof (capable of operating at a depth of 36 feet without additional waterproof housing) and freezeproof (tested to withstand temperatures of 14° F).
- Includes a 2.25-inch rear touchscreen LCD and a 1.4-inch front LCD screen.
- The system uses RockSteady, DJI’s Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) technology, and also includes High Dynamic Range (HDR) video at 4K/30fps, which DJI says delivers an additional three stops of dynamic range to the scene.
- Comes with a removable battery with 93 minutes (4K/30fps with RockSteady enabled) or 135 minutes (1080p/30fps without RockSteady) of battery life.
- Other features include dual microphones, voice control, slo-motion video, timelapse video, custom-exposure settings, wireless features, and more.
For more information on the new Osmo Action, visit dji.com/osmo-action.
Contest & Test Drive Program: Earlier this week, Nikon launched a new contest: “Follow Your Passion” video contest, which gives filmmakers and content creators the chance to submit 3- to 5-minute short films captured on its Nikon Z-series mirrorless cameras. The new contest has great prizes for the winners:
- First-place winners will receive $25,000, plus the Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit, worth approximately $4,000
- Second-place winners will receive $10,000, plus the Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit
- Third-place winners will receive a Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit.
The deadline for submissions is Saturday, August 31, 2019. For contest details and to enter, visit followyourpassion.com.
Nikon is also making it easier for those who don’t own a Nikon Z series mirrorless camera to get their hands on one by offering a “Test Drive” program: According to the company, “this Nikon Z 6 Filmmaker’s Kit rental program, available at approximately 138 retailer locations nationwide, will provide more creators with the opportunity to experience first-hand what the Nikon Z series is capable of.” Rental fees are up to $99.95 for three days or up to $149.95 for one week. To find a retailer near you or for additional details, visit www.nikonusa.com/ztestdrive.
Film Festival: The Cannes Film Festival kicked off events for its 72nd edition earlier this week and will run through May 25. The festival will include a wide array of events and competitions, as in past years. One welcome change, though, has been the buzz over the reboot of the movie “Cliffhanger,” which originally featured Sylvester Stallone. According to Variety, the new film will include a female director and “boast a strong female lead and key female creative talent.”
Trade Show & Expo: Cine Gear Expo 2019, which will take place in Los Angeles from May 30-June 2, is the premier annual event for film and video professionals in the technology, entertainment and media industry. The show will include 300 exhibits, new product and services introductions and seminars led by industry leaders, master classes, a film competition, an awards ceremony and special screenings in state of the art theaters. For more, go to cinegearexpo.com