Canon U.S.A. just announced the STM lens we’ve been waiting for – the 50mm f/1.8 STM standard lens. The prime features a maximum aperture of f/1.8, and is suited for portrait photography with shallow depth of field (it’s an 80mm when attached to a Canon APS-C sensor). The lens is also ideal for low-light photography and night scenes. With Canon’s proprietary STM stepping motor technology, this new lens supports Canon’s EOS Movie Servo AF* (autofocus) function to provide smooth and quiet continuous AF during video recording, as well as when capturing still photos.
“Canon’s optical heritage of creating high-quality lenses is something we are very proud of,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO of Canon U.S.A., Inc. “Regardless of skill level or budget, all photographers and videographers should have access to superb creative tools that enable them to capture not only beautiful images but images that tell the story of their lives. This new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens, will provide photographers and videographers with outstanding images they will want to share for years to come.”
The new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8mm STM lens has an improved exterior design, including a new focus ring placement, and it’s the most compact EF 50mm lens Canon has ever released – just 1.5 inches in length. The lens also uses a metal mount providing additional stability and ruggedness compared to its predecessor.
Composed of six elements in five groups, the lens features an optimized lens placement and Super Spectra Coating (SSC), giving you less ghosting and flaring, while at the same time enhancing light transmission and optimizing color reproduction accuracy. The lens also features a seven blade circular aperture, improved from the predecessor’s five blade non-circular aperture, helping to deliver a more appealing blurring effect. The minimum focusing distance for the lens has been shortened to 1.1 feet from 1.5 feet with a maximum magnification of 0.21x, allowing for more creative close-up photos and videos.
The new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8mm STM standard prime lens is scheduled to be available by the end of May for an estimated retail price of $125.99.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Summary:
– Compact, lightweight, fixed focal length standard lens for EOS cameras
– Large f/1.8 maximum aperture
– 80mm effective focal length when attached to EOS cameras with APS-C sensors
– Canon STM gear type stepping motor technology provides quiet autofocusing to support Canon’s EOS Movie Servo AF function
– Improved exterior design including new focus ring placement makes it the most compact Canon EF 50mm lens ever
– New metal mount for stability and ruggedness
– Super Spectra Coating for minimized ghosting and flaring
– Circular seven blade aperture
– 14-inch minimum focusing distance
– 0.21x maximum magnification